Sunday, March 11, 2012

3/11/12 - The Process

As people ask me how the process is going, I'm realizing more and more that it's sort of confusing and not everyone knows what it all entales.  So, let me just give you a brief summary:

I started taking injections of Gonal F and Menopur every night at the same exact time on 3/7 (Wed).  This is to boost my egg production and make me "super ovulate". 

3/10 (Sat) I had a blood test to check how my body was reacting to the meds and see if the dosages need to be adjusted at all.  Started 3rd injection - Ganirelex which keeps me from ovulating too early.  So now I'm taking 3 every night.

3/12 (Mon) Unexpected ultrasound - I don't know why.  I think it has something to do with the fact that I never started my cycle naturally.

3/14 (Wed) Ultrasound and Blood Test to check how body is reacting to meds.

3/16 (Fri) Ultrasound and Blood Test to check if I'm almost ready for egg retrieval.  If I AM ready, I stop the 3 injections and do an HCG injection in my "love handle" which will make me ovulate in time for egg retrieval.

3/17 (Sat) Pre-OP Exam and Blood Test

3/18 (Sun) Egg retrieval.  They put me out and retrieve my eggs.  I recover for a couple of hours in the op room then go home for bed rest the rest of the day.  This is when they'll give me more instructions for the next set of meds.  I'll take some pills and start Progesterone OIL injections every day.

The Dr. will then be calling me every day with the status of the eggs/embryo's.  If all goes well and they develop as they should...

3/23 (Fri) Embryo transfer.  I'm awake for this procedure.  I rest in their office for about an hour then go home for 3 days of strict bed rest.

4/2 (Mon - 10 days after embryo transfer)  Blood pregnancy test!

If positive, the Dr follows my pregnancy with ulrasounds and bloodwork until I'm 9 weeks along, then I see my regular OBGYN.

Tonight we're starting our meds at 9pm instead of 8pm because of daylight savings time, so we stay consistant with the time of day they're done.  I'm back up to my right side of my abdomen, which was my easiest area (which we did the first night).  I don't have any bruising yet!  YAY!  I hope everything goes well with my ultrasound tomorrow.  :)  Good night.


  1. It seems like this process goes pretty fast. At least for me, someone not having to go thru it. Has it gone by fast for you or has it been long and draining? You are so good at being on schedule too! That would be really hard for me. You are amazing!

    1. It has actually gone by pretty fast. Yay!! :)

  2. Anxious to hear about your ultrasound